7 races are scheduled on the opening day of the 4 day Cheltenham Festival. In 2020, Cheltenham Tuesday (Day 1 of 4) falls on 10th March. The feature race of Cheltenham Tuesday, the Champion Hurdle, starts at 15:30.
Cheltenham Tuesday tips
- 13:30 Supreme Novices’ Hurdle (8 Hurdles, 2 miles 1/2 furlong) – Horses must be at least 4 years old. Takes place on the Old Course. You will hear the traditional Cheltenham Roar, from the assembled crowd, at the start of this race as it is the first event of the festival. Jockey Ruby Walsh has won this race a record 6 times since 2006 – including Klassical Dream in 2019. Each of his wins was on a different horse.
- 14:10 Arkle Chase (13 Fences, 2 miles) – Horses must be at least 5 years old. This race is run on the Old Course. The famous Ruby Walsh-Willie Mullins jockey-trainer combination had 2 consecutive wins in 2015 and 2016 with Un de Sceaux and Douvan, and they also won in 2018 with Footpad. Willie Mullins was the winning trainer in 2019, with jockey Paul Townend riding Duc des Genievres.
- 14:50 Ultima Handicap Chase (20 Fences, 3 miles 1 furlong)
- 15:30 CHAMPION HURDLE (8 HURDLES, 2 MILES 1/2 FURLONG) – This is the most well regarded National Hunt hurdles race of the year. For horses at least 4 years old. This race takes place on the Old Course. Five horses tie the record for most wins in this race, each winning three times in consecutive years – Hatton’s Grace, Sir Ken, Persian War, See You Then, and Istabraq. Buveur D’Air won in 2017 & 2018, trained by Nicky Henderson. Espoir d’Allen, ridden by Mark Walsh, won in 2019.
- 16:10 Mares’ Hurdle (10 Hurdles, 2 miles 4 furlongs) – Mares must be at least 4 years old. Takes place on the Old Course. Quevega won this race 6 times in a row between 2009 and 2014. Ruby Walsh was the jockey on all of those occasions – he also won this race in 2016 riding Vroum Vroum Mag, and again in 2018 riding Benie Des Dieux. Willie Mullins was the trainer for each of Ruby Walsh’s 8 wins, and he also had another win with Glens Melody in 2015. Quevega (6 wins), Walsh (8 wins), and Mullins (9 wins) hold the records for most successful horse, jockey, and trainer in this race. Roksana won in 2019, ridden by Harry Skelton.
- 16:50 Northern Trust Company Novices’ Handicap Chase (16 Fences, 2 miles 4 1/2 furlongs)
- 17:30 National Hunt Chase (25 Fences, 3 miles 7 1/2 furlongs)