Cheltenham Friday tips
Tips for Cheltenham Friday can be found here.
7 races will take place on Cheltenham Friday – the final day of the current 4 day Cheltenham Festival calendar. In 2020, Cheltenham Friday falls on 13th March. The Cheltenham Gold Cup, which is the feature race of Cheltenham Friday, starts at 15:30. All these races will take place on the New Course.
- 13:30 Triumph Hurdle (8 Hurdles, 2 miles 1 furlong) – For Novice hurdlers. This is the leading National Hunt race, for juveniles only. Barry Geraghty’s 5 wins make him the race’s leading jockey. Nicky Henderson’s 7 wins make him the race’s leading trainer (including Pentland Hills in 2019). 4 horses who have won the Triumph Hurdle, have later gone on to win the Champion Hurdle, including Katchit (2007 Triumph Hurdle winner, 2008 Champion Hurdle winner).
- 14:10 County Hurdle (8 Hurdles, 2 miles 1 furlong)
- 14:50 Albert Bartlett Novices’ Hurdle (12 Hurdles, 3 miles) – Novice hurdlers, at least 4 years old, take part. Tony McCoy is the leading jockey in this race with 3 wins – Black Jack Ketchum in 2006, Wichita Lineman in 2007, and At Fishers Cross in 2013. Minella Indo won in 2019 (j: Rachael Blackmore, t: Henry de Bromhead).
- 15:30 CHELTENHAM GOLD CUP (22 FENCES, 3 MILES 2 1/2 FURLONGS)
- Currently, this famous National Hunt steeplechase takes place on Cheltenham’s New Course. 22 fences are jumped, over a 3 miles 2.5 furlong course. Horses 5 years and over can take part in this race. This blue riband race of the National Hunt racing calendar takes place on the final day of the festival.
- Golden Miller holds the record for the horse with the most Cheltenham Gold Cup wins with 5 victories in a row – the horse won in 1932, 1933, 1934, 1935, and 1936. Infact, Golden Miller is the only horse to have won both the Cheltenham Gold Cup and the Grand National in the same year – achieved in 1934.
- Only three other horses have won at least three times (they all happen to have won in consecutive years too):
- Cottage Rake won in 1948, 1949, and 1950
- Arkle won in 1964, 1965, and 1966. Infact Arkle’s jockey for all three wins, Pat Taaffe, also won on another horse (Fort Leney) in 1968 – his 4 wins make him the most successful winning jockey at the Cheltenham Gold Cup.
- Best Mate won in 2002, 2003, and 2004.
- One of the most famous winning horses of recent times is Kauto Star – by winning the Cheltenham Gold Cup in both 2007 and 2009, the horse became the first to regain the trophy. In the intervening year (2008) Kauto Star finished 2nd to stablemate Denman. Denman finished 2nd to Kauto Star in 2009.
- In 2019 trainer Willie Mullins’ Al Boum Photo won, jockeyed by Paul Townend. In 2018 Native River won the Cheltenham Gold Cup (jockey: Richard Johnson, trainer: Colin Tizzard). In 2017 Sizing John won (jockey: Robbie Power, trainer: Jessica Harrington), whilst in 2016 Don Cossack was victorious (jockey: Bryan Cooper, trainer: Gordon Elliot).
- 16:10 Foxhunter Chase (22 Fences, 3 Miles 2 1/2 Furlongs)